A salad can fill an empty stomach for nearly any purpose, from an al fresco snack to a family appetizer. When combined with protein like chicken, it can become a full, nutritious meal all on its own.
If you’re looking for a way to take your salad from snack or side to a savory main course, consider this High-Protein Chicken, Onion and Quinoa Salad with its own from-scratch dressing. Ready in less than 30 minutes, it calls for a handful of everyday ingredients including sauteed onions as a key ingredient for added flavor.
Onions are a natural wonder because of their many “skills.” Onions add abundant flavor to a wide variety of foods with just 45 calories per serving as a source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium and other key nutrients such as folate, calcium and iron. They’re also rich in heart-healthy nutrients and have been shown to help prevent some cancers.
Visit onions-usa.org for more recipe ideas.
High-Protein Chicken, Onion & Quinoa Salad
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tb Olive Oil
- 1 Tb Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 Cups Red Quinoa Rinsed
- 2 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tsp Canola Oil
- 1 White Onion Sliced
- 3 Cups Baby Kale
- 1 Red-Skinned Apple Chopped
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken Chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- To make dressing: In bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, honey and Dijon mustard until well combined. Set aside.
- In saucepan, bring quinoa and broth to boil. Simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes, or until broth has been absorbed. Cool completely.
- In medium skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion 3-5 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In large bowl, toss onion, kale, apple, chicken, salt and pepper with dressing. Stir in cooled quinoa.