Plant-forward eating should be easy and delicious – and it can be. Rather than following strict rules, simply add plant foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans and grains to more meals throughout the day.
Walnuts, for example, are a kitchen multi-tasker with uses well beyond baked goods. In fact, walnuts can be used as a simple, whole-food meat alternative. One ounce of walnuts contains important nutrients including 4 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, 2.5 grams of monounsaturated fat, 13 grams of polyunsaturated fat and 2.5 grams of essential omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid.
Try walnuts as an alternative to meat in recipes like Walnut Meatless Meatballs or Pizza with Plant-Based Walnut Crumble, and find more plant-forward recipes at walnuts.org/plantrecipes.
Walnut Meatless Meatballs
- 1 tb olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tb tomato paste
- 1/2 cup California walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesean cheese
- 1 TB Italian seasoning
- 2 TB Italian parsely Chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In small skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic; saute 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Transfer to food processor with walnuts, rice, roasted red peppers, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, parsley and egg. Pulse until combined but not mushy.
- Form into eight equal balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Cook 12 minutes, or until firm to touch. Serve with sauce of choice.
Pizza with Plant-Based Walnut Crumble
Walnut Sausage Crumble
- 1 cup California Walnuts
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tb coconut aminos
- 1 tb olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
Walnut Sausage Pizza
- 1 lb Pizza dough
- 6 tb pizza sauce
- 2/3 cup mozarella cheese divided
- 2/3 cup walnut sausage crumble divided
- 6 tb pesto
- 1/4 cup small tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup parmesean cheese shaved
- To make Walnut Sausage Crumble: In food processor, pulse walnuts, cannellini beans, coconut aminos, olive oil, fennel seeds, seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and salt to sausage like consistency.
- To make Walnut Sausage Pizza: Preheat oven to 500 F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into four pieces and roll out into thin ovals; place on baking sheets.
- Spread two dough pieces with equal amounts pizza sauce, 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese and half of Walnut Sausage Crumble.
- Spread remaining dough pieces with pesto, remaining cheese, remaining Walnut Sausage Crumble and tomatoes.
- Bake 8 minutes, or until pizza edges are golden brown. Garnish with basil leaves and shaved Parmesan.